Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Charmed, I'm sure!


I met a charming group yesterday! A group of our 'customers' (also known as viewers) popped in for a visit.


Oftentimes we open our station to visiting tour groups. The visitors may consist of an employee's family members or friends...a school group....girl scouts or boy scouts....possibly a group who is holding a meeting or event in our 3rd floor conference room....and advertisers or clients.


Micki Byrnes, our Vice-President for Advertising and Promotions here at WKYC-TV, lead this particular tour group.


Our engagingly attentive guests made a pit stop at the News Assignment Desk. Micki gave them an overview of what happens at the News Assignment Desk and what duties fall under my tutelage. Honestly, I was delighted to hear her rattle off the long laundry list of things we do. The News Desk, in my estimation, is an invaluable tool for a Newsroom.


But, this is not a pat on the back for those of us up here in the trenches (pat pat). And nothing is ever a sure thing.


I genuinely enjoy meeting our customers, our viewers. This group was fetching! They really listened to what Micki and I were sharing and had follow-up questions & feedback about the process.


I could have chatted with them all night!


It's a changing business. At one point, one of the gentlemen looked awestruck and asked me, "You are up here alone? You handle all of this by yourself?" I answered that most of the time I do and it is quite ok. He then responded by telling me that I have job security. Well, as I've said before, nothing is a sure thing, but I smiled and told them all, "I sure hope so!!!!"


I thank our charming visitors for their hospitality and their encouraging words! Please come back and visit us real soon!

No comments: