Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Out of the mouth of babes!

(photo courtesy intern Nicole Moyse and includes from left to right: Caitlin, Rob, Nicole, Lauren, Kate)


I was lucky enough to have Nicole, the intern, sitting on the desk with me a few days ago. We have a really good group of interns this term. They may not realize how valuable they are, but they are. They've been a huge help, even if they think they are doing 'busy work' at times!


Nicole, though not here very long, made an astute observation. She said to me, "you are the den mother of the newsroom!" Though, I would love to think of myself as the 'beautiful young lady on the desk' (ok, cease laughing!), she hit the nail on the head. At times, we have to be the 'mother' taking care of our children! After she commented, there were a number of instances that popped up, where she turned to me and said "see, knowing-all Mother of the newsroom!" Another problem solved, another question answered!



Every time we get a new batch of interns, I cherish the opportunity to learn from them and hopefully impart some wise words of wisdom on them! I remember my intern days at WEWS with their 'Live on Five' show as well as in their editing department! You work hard, and long hours to learn everything you can during your internship. I remember getting up at 315am to arrive at the station by 4am while I was an editing intern. I needed to set up the morning NewsOne feeds and roll on them. There were numerous tasks all day long. I then stayed through the 6pm news so that I could help feed the 'Live on Five' show and observe the 6pm News! It was great. It was hard work, but well worth it!



I am not used to having interns up here with me. This is the first time I've had interns helping out since the old Channel 3 News Building.


And then, I had one. One lone intern. But he was FABULOUS.


I bring up my former intern because I just received a very nice note from him! I must have done something right to still have this bright, young shining star as my friend!


Mark Zinni was my intern 13 years ago! Lucky 13!! He was a gem. He really ran the desk while he worked with me! A sharp kid who I knew would go on to bigger and better things, and he did!


Not only did he have an internship with us, but he also interned with the NBC Today Show! He brought back some GREAT stories!
One of the many memorable times with Mark was having the 1996 Olympics on NBC and keeping tabs on Bela Karolyi and his gymnasts! Having the Olympics on NBC is always an exciting time!


Mark made a number of stops along the way, rising up the ladder. He has made a nice name for himself at WPRI in East Providence Rhode Island. He's the weekday co-anchor for Eyewitness News This Morning. He's an Emmy and AP award winning reporter! I could gush on forever.



However, one wise thought to pass along: getting an internship in a field you think you may want to pursue is a must! Do it! Work hard! Learn as much as you can! It will pay off, even if you find out you really DON'T like that field. Then you have not wasted a lot of time and energy and can try something else!


No comments: