Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"working" vacation


I had an absolutely delightful vacation and never left my fair city of Cleveland.


In fact, I rarely left my home and still had a wondrous time.


I had time off which I initially requested in October for when 'my' Cleveland Indians hit the playoffs or World Series. Well, we all know that scenario never materialized this season so I still had vacation to use up.


I told my supervisor to feel free to schedule me whenever it was convenient for his schedule, when no one else had time off, to make his life easier.


And I could not have gotten a better week to rejuvenate.


But, it was not all fun and games. It was more of a 'working vacation' where I bothered the station almost every day with story ideas and various news items.


Once an assignment editor (whether on vacation or not), always an assignment editor!


We had what turned out to be the snow storm of the century where downtown Cleveland was in gridlock for hours.


I never would have been able to get into work had I been on the schedule. I could not vacate my driveway, spent the bulk of the night shoveling my neighborhood just to make a path to Church for the holy day Mass and a funeral service. But that did not stop me from emailing in a number of sidebar 'snow coverage' ideas as well as uploading pictures to the wkyc facebook page.


I kept my social media skills sharp by constantly updating facebook with breaking news stories coming out of wkyc as well as Twitter.


I'm on a committee at work which was having a meeting during my time off. I made sure I emailed in all of my ideas, and there were many!


Besides the weather, we had a few other stories shaking including a groundbreaking Igbo Mass at my church --1st of it's kind ever in the Cleveland Catholic Diocese....and then my bank closed down after many, many years in operation.
At one point, my news director messaged me in all of our correspondence that I was working too hard for being on vacation!


It was my pleasure, my honor, and I would not have changed a thing looking back on my week!


The news surely never stops and no matter where an assignment editor may be, their nose for news continues sniffing out the news!

No comments: