Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Flying on 9/11

WOW!

I was lucky to enjoy a long weekend away from the news assignment desk as I headed south to catch the Cleveland Browns opening game in Tampa against the Bucs at Raymond James Stadium.

When I booked my flight, oh let's say 5 or 6 months ago, I never realized I'd be flying on September 11th.



Once it set in, it did not bother me. Let's face it, 9/11 is probably THE safest day to fly, and I witnessed it first hand.

There was only one economical flight going and coming. Thankfully, it was the 1st flight of the day so I could enjoy as many hours as possible in the 90's and the sun.




I was dumb founded when I arrived at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport at what I saw at the crack of dawn.



Not only did I have to stand in the longest security line I've ever stood in before but I, for once, was part of the 'in' crowd!


It seemed that everyone flying Saturday morning was heading to either FLA for the Browns' game or to Columbus for the big OSU vs Miami game.



You looked down ever corridor and saw only scarlet and gray or brown and orange.





It was W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L!





There was a bond, a unity, a camaraderie that lasted the entire trip to and from our destinations.





I really felt as if I was part of a big news story all weekend long.





When I arrived in Tampa, right across from where I was staying, there was a huge sign that greeted me saying: "The Official Cleveland Browns and Ohio State Tailgating Headquarters!" What more could I ask for??!!!





My best friend lives right across from Raymond James so we just walked to the Stadium. Reminded me of how I walk to our home Browns Games. And there were tailgaters, 1/2 of them Cleveland Browns' fans! Again, it was fantastic!





Once inside, at least half of the stadium, if not more, painted the seats orange and brown. So at home yet 2000 miles away. The 95-100 degree temps gave it away that we were not in Cleveland, Ohio!





What an absolutely amazing 56 hours! And, as soon as I landed, buzzed straight into the news assignment desk for another exciting weekend of running the mother ship!

No comments: