Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Left me scratching my head

One of the many privileges of living in the United States is so we can speak our mind, experience freedoms, stand up for what we believe, make a difference, tell our story, and just be ourselves!

Sounds similar to characteristics of someone in broadcasting, and many of the reasons I became an assignment editor many, many years ago (too many to tell!).

However, it does not matter how long I've worked at this job or continue working at this job, many of our viewers and callers still amaze me!

Don't get me wrong, our viewers should be able to speak their minds.

So should I! Hence, here is my say! It used to be that people were a bit more peaceful. People were willing to help their fellow man or woman, bend over backwards for someone else, lend a helping hand, and overlook a small oversight. Oh, yes, and forgive his or her neighbor.

Now, we have lawyers who say they are trying to win justice for the little guy when in reality they are trying to inflate their wallets! Everyone is suing someone for something and there are those people who have to complain about everything. Not only is their glass half empty, it is TOTALLY empty!

They win the lottery, it's not enough. They receive a birthday gift, it 's not the right thing. They lose a whole bunch of weight but say "I still look fat!" The list is endless.

I received a call from a viewer complaining about someone working at our competition. Mind you, nothing we did, but someone at a competing station. Why they felt compelled to call us about a reporter from another station, I'm still scratching my head. They said "the female reporter did a story on gas prices yesterday but probably does not give a darn about gas prices when she goes to get in her jaguar every morning!"

Good point! Excellent point. I guess, I just don't understand WHY they called us. Frankly, if THAT is all this caller has to worry about, I want their life! If that observation is the only thing they are pondering at this moment, they are darn lucky and SHOULD go buy a lottery ticket.

Oh right, they would probably win, but not be satisfied!

No comments: