Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Jim Donovan's medical leave of absence



An emotional three weeks. Honestly, more than three weeks. I am so blessed to work where I work but more importantly to have developed the friendships over the years with some amazing human beings.



I am proud to call wkyc Sports Anchor Jim Donovan friend. He and his family have become more than friends. They are truly family to me and my family. Before Mom died, she would call and wind up talking to Donovan, and then me as an afterthought! When Jim's wife calls, I wind up gabbing with her for a while and then passing her along to Jimmy!



Though I've known about Jimmy's medical situation longer than many, it did not really hit me until I watched him make the formal announcement on the air his last night of work. I sat there hanging on his every word. What you see with Jim on tv is what you get in real life: a consummate professional at the top of his craft better than most, who is one of the most caring and compassionate human beings alive. His wit towers above everyone's and I am speechless at his memory bank. You can tell him something once or he can glance over something just one time and it is etched on his brain forever.



None of us wanted to leave work that night knowing that for an undetermined number of weeks or months, a member of our family would be absent.



I gave Jimmy a big hug and kiss and told him he was guaranteed that I would be checking on him regularly. That's one thing I've not done very well over the years. If an employee leaves, I am the worst at keeping in touch with them, whether they be out of town or still in town. I don't know why. Not this time. For the 1st time in a long time, I realize how much I am going to miss my friend, and I refuse to let that happen.




Well, the good news folks is that Jimmy had his bone marrow transplant yesterday, and though he still has a long recovery, everything went very well. Yes, another emotional day. The news started going around the newsroom that surgery went well and Jim was feeling very good, strong, better than he has in a while. And then I never imagined what happened next. I received a text message -- from Donovan! Basically he thanked me for thinking of him and said it was an incredible day....I was flying sky high for the rest of my shift. Absolutely nothing was going to get me down today, let alone the rest of this week!




For those of you who may not have seen Jimmy's last show, He's been battling Leukemia for the last 10 years. He's been receiving treatment, and it's been working. Jim, always a very healthy man, has been amazing at how he's battled this disease without skipping a beat. He's up at the crack of dawn to do stuff for his family, be out at Browns camp, Indians batting practice, Cavs camp, public appearances, emcee events, or tape the bazillion of wkyc & STO shows he anchors. His caring family has assisted him immensely with support and the motivation he's needed through the years.



Jim shared, "I've gone through a lot of treatment for close to 11 years and right now a transplant gives me the best chance for a full recovery. My wife, Cheryl and daughter Meghan have been with me through it all and we figured now it was time to allow people to know what is going on in my life. My goal is to get healthy and to be back covering Cleveland sports as soon as possible."



wkyc President and GM Brooke Spectorsky added, "Jim Donovan is a huge part of the success of Channel 3 and we will be thrilled when he is in good health and back on the anchor desk. Our prayers are with him and his family, and we know the viewers of northeast Ohio will be equally supportive."



Dave Chudowsky will be filling in Monday thru Friday while Chuck Galeti will be handling the weekend sports anchor desk, along with his STO show, "Chuck's Last Call."




For anyone who'd like send well wishes, send them to getwelljim@wkyc.com


No comments: