Saturday, May 31, 2008

It all starts with just one peep out of the scanner


Always seems to happen on a Friday night. Most people want a laid back, cruise-control end to the work week. I know better! Spot news is timeless.

So, I am cruising along at a pretty good clip this Friday afternoon. We are in the midst of our 6pm news when all of a sudden, crazy scanner traffic comes across. Oftentimes, area agencies hold 'drills.' However, by the tones of the voices speaking and the units being called, I knew this was no drill.

I have 3 people trapped in a fuel tank in Auburn Township. I can not even visualize what they mean by this?!?! And, being familiar with the area where this is happening, try to get a picture of exactly where this is. I know it's big.

Now, setting the scene. I am flying solo on the news assignment desk. I only have 3crews working tonight, my last crew took a personal day. All of these crews are currently working with reporters. One is east. One is west. And the last one is down south in Summit Cty.

The scanners start hopping. When spot news hits, especially when working alone, everything else flies out the window for the rest of night except pounding the pavement and working the phones on this particular story.

I establish where this is happening. And, again try to ascertain what is happening. I alert my producers and the web and then begin what we call a 'factsheet' which is basically an information file in our computer. I send out a quick note to the producers, desk and the web so they have some info in writing as a starting point...and have all cylinders running....

I listen a bit more and then confab with Dan, the 11pm producer. After a short while, we reroute Dave Summers and his crew Randy White (the crew that can get to the scene quickest even though all of them were on opposite sides of this breaking news story!). In the meantime, another photographer who lives in the area goes to the scene on his own to snap a few pictures which he can beam back to our webmaster.

I know it is going to be a night of ping-pong and juggling. I need to contact my satellite truck operator, who is also out on a story with a reporter. We have conversation as to IF he thinks he can get a signal with a microwave truck or if we have to roll the big rig. He says we should roll the satellite truck. Yet another call to my assistant news director alerting him of our spot news, that I really need to roll the sat truck and that our late crews, more than likely, will be on overtime if that's ok. Right now, we are trying very hard to eliminate unnecessary fees and be as efficient as possible. However, on a night like tonight with such a tragedy, I am given the green light on the overtime.

I contact Dave and Randy giving them updates on what I am hearing. However, you can never use scanner traffic as fact. Usually it is correct. However, rule of thumb is always verify whatever comes across a police scanner. Yet, a reporter can take that info and use it as a springboard in the field to gather yet more information. I also supply Dave with some essential numbers and names which will help him in the field.

My 3rd crew comes back. He has to ingest his tapes. After he ingests, I send him immediately out to this scene to assist with editing and other backup support since the scene is still very active.

When it rains, it pours. I have every night crew on the clock working the Auburn Twp rescue story, and of course, I have yet more breaking news on the opposite side of town in Parma. I have a 4-year-old child who drowned in the family pool. An awful tragedy. On any other night, would be the lead story and would have sent a reporter and crew out to this one. However, tonight, I can not even send a crew to get video. Regardless of whether I can shoot video or not, I have to get the info for our website and our next live show. Then I will pass along to my overnight and weekend crews in hopes that we pick up the story Saturday. You can always pick up a story the next day.

My crews have arrived and everything seems like it is going just as planned. I can still follow what is going on 25 miles away through the magic of our scanners. If I hear something interesting, I relay it to Dave in the field.

Next, I must book the satellite windows for our tape feed and live shot during our 11pm news. I contact NBC NewsChannel and buy satellite time for our satellite truck. I must then convey that information to my signal acquisition operator and my truck operator. This truly is the 'communications business.' If someone is not given the correct information or the information at all, the whole house of cards can tumble down.

Amazingly, the story is STILL unfolding 5 hours later when we are live on the air. However, my crews in the field have a great handle on everything. Dave Summers goes live. While he is live and watching his story, an official tells him there will be a press conference because someone has died. Dave brilliantly incorporates his new information and informs our audience that he will have an update before the end of the news show.

Well, tonight was a great team effort. Everything went off without a hitch. They are not all like this but we lucked out and really were in sync. There was not even any stress within the newsroom or amongst any personnel. It was perfectly choreographed.

These are nights to be proud of as a broadcaster, even though the subject matter is tragic and you certainly hope for a better outcome. Our hearts and thoughts go out to the families involved and the rescuers who tried their best to bring about a better resolution.

Click Play Video for Dave Summers' Report.

No comments: